Tue, 17 May|
Managing rising costs on beef and sheep farms: Kilkeel
With the impact of rising input costs being felt across the industry, CAFRE are hosting several events to consider what can be done on-farm to mitigate rising costs. The events will be hosted at four farms across Northern Ireland in mid-May and are and are open to the farming public.
Time & Location
17 May 2022, 14:00 – 19:00
James Henderson, 17 Nicholsons Rd, Kilkeel, Newry BT34 4JN
About the event
Pre-registration is essential.
Event topic discussion will include:
– Creating a fodder budget for winter and actions to ensure adequate supplies of fodder.
– Use of fertiliser and organic manures to maximise grass growth.
– Rotational grazing and benefits of better grazing management.
– Clover as a longer term strategy to reduce input costs.
– Cashflow management and budgeting.
These events are supported by the Rising Costs Industry Taskforce.
Full list of events:
Tuesday 17th May
James Henderson 17 Nicholson’s Road, KILKEEL, BT34 4JN
Wednesday 18th May
Stephen Maguire 74 Curryann Road, MAGUIRESBRIGE, BT94 4PN
Thursday 19th May
Sam Chesney 49 Inishargy Road, KIRCUBBIN, BT22 2RQ
Friday 20th May
- Tue, 30 MayOxford30 May, 09:00 – 01 Jun, 17:00Oxford, Oxford, UKDAERA is offering farmers the opportunity to travel to England to learn about innovative approaches to enhancing on farm biodiversity. FAI farms demonstrate a commercial beef project with environmental & economic benefits through adaptive grazing, focused on improving resilience.
- Wed, 31 MayCookstown
- Wed, 31 MayMagherafelt
- Sat, 03 JunMoyvore03 Jun, 14:00 – 16:00Moyvore, Moyvore, Co. Westmeath, IrelandOnsite Insights: farm walk & practical actions for nature with Farming for Nature Ambassador James Ham - “Hedgerow management and incorporating trees into farming systems.” The Farming for Nature farm walks are an opportunity for FFN Ambassadors to showcase their contribution to nature.
- Wed, 14 JunCrecora14 Jun, 18:30 – 20:30Crecora, Skehanagh, Crecora, Co. Limerick, IrelandOnsite Insights: farm walk & practical actions for nature with Farming for Nature Ambassador Sean Condon, an organic dairy farmer from Crecora, County Limerick. He farms about 140 acres of good grassland and runs an extensive dairy farming system, milking 50 cows once a day.
- Thu, 15 JunAntrim
- Sat, 24 JunConnemara Co. Galway24 Jun, 14:00 – 16:30Connemara Co. GalwayOnsite Insights: farm walk & practical actions for nature with Farming for Nature Ambassador Aonghus Ó Coistealbha, a market gardener with a 1-acre farm where Aonghus grows a variety of chemical-free vegetables including lettuce/salad leaves, onions, tomatoes, radishes, herbs and more.
- Sat, 01 JulFalkland01 Jul, 21:00 – 21:05Falkland, The Stables, Falkland Estate, Falkland, Cupar KY15 7AF, UKGO Falkland, a one-day event featuring talks and sessions on regenerative farming, sharing knowledge from leading practitioners, soil health specialists, and farmers on the regenerative journey. This event is for farmers, small holders, growers, educators, and anyone interested in soil health.
- Wed, 06 SeptEastbrook Farm, Lower Farm, Bishopstone,