Thu, 02 Feb|
New date: Sustainable grazing with Neils Corfield
Join NFFN NI and Neils Corfield to learn how to design whole farm layouts and regenerative grazing plans while minimising costs.
Time & Location
02 Feb 2023, 10:00 – 17:00
Cookstown, 33 Lower Kildress Rd, Cookstown BT80 9RN, UK
About the event
Part of the NFFN NI: Farming for Resilience collection
In this course, you'll learn the nuts and bolts of regenerative grazing management and whole farm planning to design farm layouts and grazing plans while minimising costs. At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Implement soil and pasture health principles on your farm
- Design a basic farm layout that facilitates your management goals
- Create a grazing plan to maximise the potential of forage resources and minimise work
NFFN are offering this course for free - Usual price is £200
This project is funded by DAERA's Environment Fund. View all associated events here.
- Principles of sustainable grazing management
- Grazing Management systems: mob grazing & planned grazing
- Grazing planning: charts, calculating live weight, forage budgeting
- Time-saving strategies for management of land & livestock
- Farm infrastructure: functional hedges, water, fencing, access, and manure management
- Pasture monitoring (using SoilMentor)
- Trials & Feedback
- Animal Health & Nutrition
- Breed Selection
- Soil Nutrients & Plant Nutrition
- Transition Strategies
What to bring
- Packed lunch
- Notebook, pens etc
- Camera/smartphone (optional)
- Boots & clothing for farm walk
Who is Neils Corfield?
Neils Corfield has been working to deliver a truly regenerative food system for over 15 years. He is an advisor, researcher, educator, designer & tree nurseryman.
Working to create agroecological landscapes and farms in the UK and Europe he is focused on systems that are low maintenance and productive. He advises and consults on: soil health, planned grazing, agroforestry, and whole farm planning. He helps transition farm operations, through an inclusive/participatory approach.