Tue, 04 Oct|
Water-friendly Farm Walk 1
Visit a dairy farm piloting a low cost, nature-based solution to capture and recycle nutrients on the farm.
Time & Location
04 Oct 2022, 10:30 – 12:00
Cookstown, 77 Killycurragh Rd, Cookstown BT80 9LP, UK
About the event
Do you have waterways on your farmland and worry about the risk of pollution?
Are you struggling with the rising cost of fertiliser and want to learn how to make your own free fertiliser?
The Water Innovation Network have been trialling low cost nature-based solutions to capture and clean dirty water on farms, and provide farmers with harvestable crops. These solutions are designed to minimise the amount of productive land needed, are simple to install and easy to maintain.
Join us on a tour of Henry's dairy farm to see how a system of swales planted with comfrey and willow tackles their farmyard run-off. Both plants absorb nutrients from the dirty water but, comfrey has an added benefit as it can be harvested to provide the farm with it's own free source of fertiliser. The project is still at an early trial stage but results look promising - the nearby river is scoring high for indicator species of good water quality and the crops are thriving on the dirty water.
If interested, please arrive at the location and time listed below:
Farm location: Henry's Dairy Farm, 'Curragh View Farm', 79 Killycurragh Road, Cookstown, County Tyrone, BT80 9LP.
Farm tour: Tuesday 4 October 2022, 10:30am - 12:00pm.
- Tue, 03 Octwebinar03 Oct, 20:00 – 21:35webinar
- Tue, 10 Octwebinar10 Oct, 20:00 – 21:35webinar
- Tue, 17 Octwebinar17 Oct, 20:00 – 21:35webinar
- Tue, 24 Octwebinar24 Oct, 20:00 – 21:35webinar
- Thu, 26 OctLa Mon Hotel26 Oct, 09:30 – 16:00La Mon Hotel, 41 Gransha Rd, Comber, Belfast, Newtownards BT23 5RF, UK26 Oct, 09:30 – 16:00La Mon Hotel, 41 Gransha Rd, Comber, Belfast, Newtownards BT23 5RF, UKSoil health is recognised as underpinning sustainable and resilient farming systems. Over the past number of decades, AFBI’s extensive soil health research has integrated with both agricultural productivity and environmental outcomes to deliver important recommendations.
- Tue, 07 NovFitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel07 Nov, 09:30 – 08 Nov, 07:30Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel, Knockanes, Adare, Co. Limerick, Ireland07 Nov, 09:30 – 08 Nov, 07:30Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel, Knockanes, Adare, Co. Limerick, IrelandNational Organic Training Skillnet are delighted to confirm that BioFarm is back! The event will host the usual high-level mix of Irish and international speakers on the topics of biological, organic, and regenerative farming. Speakers will be announced in the coming months leading up to November.
- Thu, 16 NovWestlodge Hotel16 Nov, 08:30 – 17 Nov, 16:30Westlodge Hotel, Seafield, Bantry, Co. Cork, Ireland
- Thu, 16 NovWestlodge Hotel16 Nov, 21:00 – 17 Nov, 17:00Westlodge Hotel, Clashduff, Bantry, Co. Cork, Ireland
- Mon, 27 NovBelfast27 Nov, 10:00 – 15:30Belfast, University Rd, Belfast BT7 1NN, UK